Pages

Ads 468x60px

Thursday, March 31, 2011

RE: [DucatiST] Re: Engine mounting bolts

 

When I got my 99 ST4 I'm sure she'd been ridden really hard and put away wet more than once. At any rate I used the Nichols bolts made for the year model and they were the 10mm ones. I did this last year and checked the torque this spring and all was as I set it.
However, I could have possibly used the 12mm bolts given all the hard riding the old gal had probably been subject too.

Robert McNabb
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
ST4 1999 RED

--- On Thu, 3/31/11, Larry Swanson <larryaswanson@comcast.net> wrote:

From: Larry Swanson <larryaswanson@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [DucatiST] Re: Engine mounting bolts
To: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 1:01 PM

 

I used the Nichols on my 98ST2 many years ago, no drilling, slid right in.

Larry A Swanson

98ST2

 

-----Original Message-----
From: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:st2_owners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ducmays@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:57 AM
To: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DucatiST] Re: Engine mounting bolts

 

 

List,
Do the Nichols bolts require drilling? Says on website it varies. Any notes out there?

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®


From: Beinstein <beinema@yahoo.com>

Sender: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:38:08 -0700 (PDT)

To: <st2_owners@yahoogroups.com>

ReplyTo: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Re: [DucatiST] Re: Engine mounting bolts

 

 

To that end I can add that I left the old bolt in place on one end whilst drilling the other. I then inserted the new bolt, took out the old  10mm bolt and drilled the second half. Indeed the block moves just a bit when the bolt is taken out entirely and even in my sittuation I decided to support the drilling side to keep the block in the very same place as compared to the frame.

 

cheerz

Nico

 


From: "Nankervis, Wayne" <WTNANKERVIS@BEMIS.COM>
To: "st2_owners@yahoogroups.com" <st2_owners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 3:27:11 PM
Subject: RE: [DucatiST] Re: Engine mounting bolts

 

Jack,

 

I have two drill bits.  One is a standard short length and one a "jobbers" length that is long enough to pass thru the engine, frame and then some.  I borrowed the drill bits from work.  If you like I can check the length and availability and let you know.  I used the short drill bit to drill thru the frame and part of the way into engine on each side.  Then, I used the the long drill bit to drill all the way thru from one side.  The new 12mm bolt easily passed thru and engine with no issues.  As a side note, I drilled a short distance then removed the drill bit and blew the chips out repeatedly.  This process worked well.

 

I also did a couple of things that may or may not be necessary depending on what you encounter.  With the bike on the center stand, I lightly supported the engine with two hydraulic jacks before attempting to remove the rear engine mount bolt.  When I removed the bolt the engine rose up about 1mm or so in the frame.  This was mainly because of the rear shock was still completely mounted on the bike.  The top shock mounting bolt is attached to the frame, the bottom shock mounting bolt is attached to the swing arm and the swing arm is attached to the engine.  You get drift?  

 

Anyway, as I said, you may or may not encounter this situation.  What I did next was use two jack stands I had made to support the frame from under the seat just ahead of the passengers foot pegs.  I have a plastic coated pipe that passes under the frame into a right angle ear that is welded to 1" threaded rod on each jack stand.  I was able to gently lift the bike off of the ground at the center stand.  Then I placed a piece of wood under the rear tire on the floor to support the swing arm and removed the bottom shock mounting bolt.  Still lightly supporting the engine underneath with two hydraulic jacks I was able drill thru the engine essentially allowing it to "float" somewhat drilling the new hole.

 

This is way more than what I had initially intended to do, but it worked out okay and I was able to successfully drill the rear mounting hole with no issues.  Also, the instructions I received from TPO said that the nuts were 14mm.  They are not.  They are 16mm.  I didn't have any 16mm sockets, so I had to make a trip to get those as well.  Sorry for the long story.  Take it for what it is worth.  I hope it helps.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

 

Wayne

'99ST2 

 


From: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:st2_owners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jack Ward
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:38 PM
To: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DucatiST] Re: Engine mounting bolts

 

Wayne,

Do you have the bit for enlarging the openings? I looked on McMaster-Carr's site a couple of days ago and found a 12" bit for around $30. If you don't have one, then I'm going to post a notice and ask how many are doing this mod. Perhaps a few folks may want to combine finances and do a group purchase of the bit.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Nankervis, Wayne <WTNANKERVIS@bemis.com> wrote:

 

I'm attempting to start to install mine tonight.  I will update my progress.

 

Wayne

'99ST2

 





--
Jack Ward
'00 ST4 Ducati (New Street)
'92 750ss Ducati (Restoration Project)
'63 H-D Panhead (Old Ratbike)
Now in Woodstock, GA, USA

 


This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, copy or use the contents of the email or any attachment. If you have received this email in error, please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.

 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from the list please send an email to: st2_owners-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment