Pages

Ads 468x60px

Friday, June 1, 2012

[DucatiST] Soldering spikes....Be Aware!

 

Many years ago I bought a Ducati Design headlamp for my St2 I had a garage in London install it as they were doing additional work on the bike and after looking at the contents in the box I realized that life was short and I was a long time dead!.....so I let them get on with it.
Bike worked fine for a couple of years then the Gremlins came, with vengance! performance was off, fuel gauge was not very accurate the oil light would come on even though there was plenty of oil in the engine fuel light would come on and batteries would not last the winter. So I dedicated a day and sat in my garage and worked from the back of the bike to the front with a multimeter and checked every cable in the looms for continuity.
I eventually got to the wiring loom for the head light and I noticed on the underside of the insulation tape where it was a hard spike had worked its way through the insulation tape and was 'grounding out' on the headlamp frame.
Un-soldered the connections and re-soldered with heat shrink.....the bike runs like a dream and all my Gremlins are now put to bed.
The moral of this story.......Garages have to work quickly check what they have done especially anything electrical which requires Soldering!

Regards Al (97St2UK)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from the list please send an email to: st2_owners-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment