Pages

Ads 468x60px

Friday, May 31, 2013

Re: [DucatiST] Re: Steering Head Bearing Replacement

 

Rich,
 
That's good news.
 
Alls Balls Bearings is a whole saler, they sell to Moto -wheels and other shops as stocking dealers, Individuals can't buy direct from Alls Balls, IIRC!
 
What the hell is an AK-20?  A short version of an AK-47?
 
chee-yoww, Nick Alaniz, 2002 ST4$. 


From: Rich Goforth <rcgoforth@gmail.com>
To: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, May 31, 2013 12:15:25 PM
Subject: Re: [DucatiST] Re: Steering Head Bearing Replacement

 

The guys at Traxxion were able to remove the old bearing and replace it with the new one as well grease and run everything through the parts cleaner for me, so that is one bit that I don't have to worry about :)
On another note -I looked at the bearings that I received from motoWheels ( and noted from the link that I mentioned earlier) and they are actually AllBalls Bearings.  So I suppose there isn't really a difference in where you order it at this point.  (Except I probably paid too much)
-Richard (also - ouch those ak-20s and Penske shock totaled to a lot of money)


On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Randy & Tracy Ipad <rntdumont@charter.net> wrote:
 

If you have to try and find a bearing removal tool make sure to take the lower triple clamp with you. The configuration makes it difficult to find a tool that works. I have always ground the race thin then hit it with a chisel as others have mentioned. Good luck. Randy

Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2013, at 5:46 AM, Rich Goforth <rcgoforth@gmail.com> wrote:

 

Thank You Nick and Randy, a few taps and it came right out. I was just afraid to hit it before I knew it was ready.  Also the park tool was perfect and the races came out with no effort. I am picking up my forks at Traxxion
today so I will see if they will pull the lower race off the steering stem for me.  Otherwise I think I'm going to go get a bearing removal tool from O'Reilly's.
Thanks again,
Richard

On May 31, 2013 12:24 AM, <rntdumont@charter.net> wrote:
>
>  
>
> You are on the right track. Since the OEM used roller bearings, the inner races may be a little stuck to the steering stem.
> Randy
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
> ________________________________
> From: "goforthnconquer" <rcgoforth@gmail.com>
> Sender: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 03:22:32 -0000
> To: <st2_owners@yahoogroups.com>
> ReplyTo: st2_owners@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [DucatiST] Re: Steering Head Bearing Replacement
>
>  
>
>
> Alright, I am in the middle of it now, bike hanging nicely from a beam secured across the rafters, I pulled off the top yoke, and unscrewed the steering stem nut.
>
> Now it seems like the bottom yoke and steering stem should just pull out, but they seem to be quite immobile. Is it possible that I missed loosening something? Is there a missing step? Should I just be more persuasive with a rubber mallet against the top of the steering stem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Richard
>
>


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (40)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from the list please send an email to: st2_owners-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment