Pages

Ads 468x60px

Thursday, September 30, 2010

[DucatiST] Re: Debris in Fuel Tank

 

Mike,
I did the exact same thing with a bottle of sea foam! It has been over 1200 miles ago with no worries to date. I would have never admitted it if you had not brought it up. I will refurbish the components in the tank over the winter and see if it is still in there.

--- In st2_owners@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mrudolph@...> wrote:
>
> Hello ST riders,
>
> Before a ride Sunday morning, I decided to add some fuel system cleaner to a full fuel tank. The fuel tank lid was up. I was opening a bottle of cleaner near the tank and... as you may have already guessed... the little paper disk (1/2" dia.) from the bottle cap flittered its way right into the tank. I watched the gentle floating of the disk in disbelief. Time was suspended. "Is this really happening", I thought? Milliseconds turned to seconds. Ker flit! Now imagine the ensuing rant. Wrong! I kept myself from a tantrum. I had done the tank service only a few hundred miles ago, an I knew this was not the end of the world.
>
> OK, are you done laughing at a poor shmuck? Time to sieze this opportunity for problem solving!
>
> QUESTIONS:
> 1. How large is the fuel intake hole on the pump? Does this disk in the tank even pose a danger to the fuel system -- can it get sucked into the pump?
>
> 2. Any thoughts on how to locate that paper disk WITHOUT siphoning the fuel, removing tank and pulling the pump?
>
> The plan is to purchase an inspection mirror tonight and take a look see inside. I suspect the disk has 'stuck' itself to the roof of the tank in the small 'air gap' at the top of the tank. I gave the bike a good shake hoping to see the disk floating, but nothing.
>
> October riding in Wisconsin is a blast. Time to get on this.
>
> Mike
> 2002 ST4S
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from the list please send an email to: st2_owners-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment